Updated: January 2020 - Originally published July 2018
With move-in season for college right around the corner, many of you who are going to college for the first time are excited to move off on your own and live in a college dorm! When it comes to living in a dorm room, you don’t just want to live there but you also want to make it feel like home… and with that comes decorations! Below are my tips and tricks to decorate your dorm room while ballin’ on a budget to create the perfect vibe you are looking for!
1. One great way to decorate your room for fairly cheap is a tapestry. A tapestry doesn’t have to cost you more than $20 if you shop around for deals and they cover a large portion of your blank walls! This will be a great focal point to work around when designing your room. You can be as creative as you want too! Here I put my tapestry in the corner for an off-centered effect!
2. String lights! One thing that will instantly make a room more cozy is a set of string lights to hang up. These are pretty cheap if you head over to your local Target and get a set, they come in all different shapes, sizes and colors so you can pick what will go best with your style. As you can see in the picture above I place my lights around my tapestry and they are a reddish/pink! It adds a little bit of fun and coziness to my bed area.
3. An area rug: One way to instantly bring up the homeyness level in your dorm room is to add an area rug! It’s way nicer than stepping on the tile floor and makes your room really comfy feeling! And because I never took a picture of the floor in my dorm room here is a photo of an example as to how a rug can be both comfy and tie the room together!
4. Pictures! Nothing will make your dorm feel quite like home than pictures of family, friends, pets, etc. Definitely be sure to print pictures and hang them in your room. This is super cheap if you choose to print them at Walgreens, usually less than 30 cents a picture. You can even jazz them up by hanging them along a piece of string or putting them in a Plymouth Cards photo insert card!
5. Add your own personal touches! Nothing says home more than having personal touches in your room. Whether it be that you brought your favorite band poster, made canvases to hang on your walls or picked out a comforter that just screams ‘you’, bring something that will make your dormyours.But don’t clean out your entire room at home either, remember when you come home for breaks and long weekends that you still want there to be a piece of you there also! I put up a canvas wall in my room, it includes canvases I made myself and canvases that other people made for me, which makes it all the more special!
If you follow these tips you will be calling your dorm home in no time! Let me know below what other tips you've found to decorate your room!
-Beni @PlymouthCards.com (Rising senior at UNC Greensboro)
Disclaimer: In the name of full transparency, please be aware that this blog post contains affiliate links and any purchases made through such links may result in a small commission for us (at no extra cost for you). We only include affiliate links to high quality products we have used.